To celebrate its 60th anniversary and National Coffee Day, The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf is giving away free coffee and tea beverages for a year, kicking off on Friday, Sept. 29. One lucky winner will receive free drinks for 365 days and 60 will win free drinks for the remainder of 2023.
Guests will be entered to win automatically with every purchase through The Coffee Bean® Rewards app beginning on National Coffee Day and running through Tuesday, Oct. 31. Winners will be able to order one free regular-sized drink per day, seven days per week.
Blue Bottle Coffee will open an immersive coffee experience in Los Angeles for a limited six-week residency starting on Wednesday, Sept. 27, through Sunday, Nov. 5, with an hourlong curated eight-course tasting menu. The menu will include the most limited batches of coffee from longtime Blue Bottle producers in a space designed in collaboration with wrk-shp and Capsule Manufacturing. It features a custom-made brass bar and vintage furniture, as well as curtains, dyed using various blends of Blue Bottle coffee beans designed by Lookout & Wonderland. Seatings are Wednesday through Sunday at 10 a.m., noon and 2:30 p.m., at a cost of $75 per person, gratuity included. Reservations can be booked here . The address is 8901 Melrose Ave., in West Hollywood.
On Sunday, Sept. 24, Broken Shaker will collaborate with Made to Move for their Made to Swim five-year anniversary. From 3 p.m. to 8 p.m., guests can dance with friends or have a dip in the pool, while DJ performances play all afternoon long from Alexis Curshé, Escaflowne, Josh Peace, Akumen, and Andy Oro. This is a ticketed event and can be found here for $15 and $20 at the door the day of.
On Thursday, Sept. 28, they will host JADE for a sunset dance party, taking over the entire rooftop and pool, featuring Latine y Afro diaspora rhythms by DJ Hoeteps and Cquestt and a Sound Bath & Queer Ancestral Ceremony by Allie Brown & Devyn Galindo at 6 p.m. There will also be an art installation by Ry and a queer photo booth. Tickets can be found here for $20, free for hotel guests.
In celebration of its 10th season premiere on Wednesday, Sept. 27, The Masked Singer will reveal Masked Mania, a Los Angeles-wide takeover of 10 select businesses on Saturday, Sept. 23. The one-day-only event will offer show-inspired freebies and opportunities to see the show’s wild costumes up close.
The following Los Angeles businesses will take part in Masked Mania on Saturday, Sept. 23, each providing fans with a one-of-a-kind deal to enjoy:
- Los Angeles Ale Works tasting room in Culver City will offer a special BOGO deal on its rotating selection of beers. Guests who buy one beer will get the second beer for 10 cents. Llama from The Masked Singer’s third season will be on display from noon to 6 p.m.
- Sweetfin Poké – The chef-driven poké bowl concept’s Santa Monica location will sell $10 Masked Mania Spicy Tuna Poké Bowls with an extra helping of complimentary avocado fanned out on top. The Masked Singer’s Avocado from season eight also will be on-site to spread the avocado love from noon to 6 p.m.
- Trejo’s Donuts – The Masked Singer’s Doughnut costume, which will make its debut on the show’s 10th season, will be on-site at the pink Hollywood and Highland doughnut shop to treat fans to a free Berry Bomb Donut from The Masked Singer, available from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Fred Segal – The high-end retailer’s West Hollywood location on Sunset Boulevard will feature a display of Queen of Hearts from season six as the store gives away free “Fred Segal ️The Masked Singer” tote bags. Inside some of the totes, recipients will be treated to Fred Segal gift cards valued at up to $100. Two winners will find a pair of tickets to a live taping of The Masked Singer.
- Healthy Spot – Pets that visit the Healthy Spot’s location at La Cienega and Santa Monica in West Hollywood will receive a complimentary bag of MIND BODY BOWL Freeze-Dried Packaged Treats and a bandana from The Masked Singer. Furry friends also will have a special photo op with Rottweiler from season two from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Kreation – Smoothie lovers who purchase any of the LA juicery’s smoothies at its location on W. 3rd Street will receive a free Bouncing Berries Smoothie, a kid-friendly, nutrient-packed blend of banana, strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, blueberry, yogurt, oats, green apple, raw honey, and pink Himalayan sea salt. Banana from the show’s second season will make a special appearance.
- Trejo’s Tacos – Danny Trejo’s unforgettable performance as Raccoon on The Masked Singer will be memorialized at his taco shop’s Mid-City location on La Brea. Guests can indulge in a free “Raccoon Taco,” made with a choice of beef barbacoa, chicken tinga or mushroom asada, and get an up-close look at Trejo’s Raccoon costume from season three.
- Hard Rock Cafe – TMZ and the Hard Rock Cafe in Hollywood are rolling out the red carpet for pop culture enthusiasts and fans with Milkshake from the show’s eighth season with a special surprise on the TMZ Celebrity Tour.
- goodr Cabana – Head to goodr’s colorful Cabana to snag a pair of Pineapple Painkillers sunglasses, free for the first 500 people. The goodr Cabana will also display season one’s Pineapple, which dons the shades for the space with the personality to match.
- Magnolia Bakery – Known for its classic, made-from-scratch desserts, the W. 3rd Street bakery will sweeten up Saturday by giving away free cupcakes swirled with purple buttercream. Cupcake from season six will be on site for fans to snap a selfie.
Running from Saturday, Sept. 23 through Saturday, Sept. 30, and presented by Discover Torrance, the 2023 Torrance Beer Run is a self-paced tour of 12 breweries all around the city of Torrance (no actual running required). Collect a stamp in your Beer Run Passport from each stop and turn in your completed passport for a limited edition 2023 Torrance Beer Run Hat. Pick up a passport at any of the participating breweries starting this Saturday to get started. Completed passports can be redeemed for your Beer Run Hat at Smog City Brewing Co. (Del Amo Boulevard location) or HopSaint Brewing Co., and for a pair of handy bottle opener sunglasses at the CA Welcome Center at Del Amo Fashion Center while supplies last.
Agua Viva by José Andrés, the open-air restaurant on the 10th floor of Conrad Los Angeles in DTLA, will host a special edition drag brunch as part of its ongoing DJ brunch series on Sunday, Sept. 24. Queens including Jamila Skye, Charlotte Goodenough, Laylah Amor, Karen Beaches and Amber Crane will perform throughout the venue. Admission to the event is free, and Agua Viva’s regular brunch menu will be served with highlights including Torrejas, Jamón and Eggs, and Agua Viva’s Ocean’s Bounty, a selection of seasonal raw bar favorites including oysters, crab salpicon and tuna ceviche. For reservations: OpenTable or aguavivabyjose.com.
Suzanne Goin and restaurateur Caroline Styne will host both Turkey & the Wolf and Cure for the next edition of their popular cookbook dinner series at Caldo Verde, located at the Downtown LA Proper Hotel, on Tuesday, Sept. 26 from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. The evening will feature favorite recipes from Chef Mason Hereford’s first cookbook, Turkey and the Wolf: Flavor Trippin’ in New Orleans, a tribute to perfecting the art of the sandwich and twists on Southern dishes. Neal Bodenheimer, the foremost figure on the New Orleans’ drinking scene and the owner of the Cure bar, will serve a selection of cocktails from his book Cure: New Orleans Drinks and How to Mix ‘Em next door at Dahlia, Downtown LA Proper’s recently opened cocktail lounge. Both experiences will be available from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. To purchase a ticket ($85) and make a reservation, visit Open Table.
What’s Popping Up is a weekly column in the L.A. Weekly that explores all that’s new in food and drink.
Advertising disclosure: We may receive compensation for some of the links in our stories. Thank you for supporting LA Weekly and our advertisers.